MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Driveline

Driveline Mini-buggy transmission, differentials, Forward Neutral Reverse (FNR) and gearing discussions.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Center Bearing Carrier

Has any one seen these, or know anything about the company? Any opinions or feed back?

SANDRAIL Center Bearing Carrier Axle Drive 930 CV New! - eBay (item 280567504748 end time Jan-24-11 18:24:15 PST)
butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Center Bearing Carrier

looks like a good piece! there's another you may wanna check out! i couldn't figure out how to put a link to it on here. if you get on ebay and type in "protodie", i'm pretty sure you see it! it's a little different setup, but a little cheaper also!
dusty6700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

From what i see the protodie which i just picked up and am very happy with.
Is more money, it doesn't include any of the housing plates (laser time $110 per hour)the sprocket ($100) the heims ($20 for a pair of cheapies) or weld nuts ($10 pair) But I will tell you this housing looks to me to be a bit wide at the flanges.
Also if you need your live axle to be a custom width jody can get it done .. and fast I am very happy with how he treated me. I would recommend his services to anyone.
Also if you want to run u-joints Yoshi at sinister sand sports makes a 1350 flanged yoke that bolts up to 930 flanges for about 75 bucks each.
I am pleased with the machine work those as well.
jersdunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersdunz View Post
From what i see the protodie which i just picked up and am very happy with. .............
Also if you need your live axle to be a custom width jody can get it done .. and fast I am very happy with how he treated me. I would recommend his services to anyone.
I will just quote most of your post as I also bought my rear carrier from Protodie.. and I am also very happy with it.

TutTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

[quote=jersdunz;203383]
Quote:
From what i see the protodie which i just picked up and am very happy with.
Is more money, it doesn't include any of the housing plates (laser time $110 per hour)the sprocket ($100) the heims ($20 for a pair of cheapies) or weld nuts ($10 pair)
would he have to spend the extra $$$ on all these parts tho? i'm planning to build my own center bearing carrier, and i wont be using these extra parts you listed(other than i did have to purchase a sprocket/$65)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Admin

You can build your own center carrier if you have a lathe to turn the piece to accept bearings.

If you plan to use 930 flanges you will need a splined shaft to slip into the carrier.

Only buy what you need. Know exactly what you need to buy. Don't jump the gun.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
You can build your own center carrier if you have a lathe to turn the piece to accept bearings.

If you plan to use 930 flanges you will need a splined shaft to slip into the carrier.

Only buy what you need. Know exactly what you need to buy. Don't jump the gun.
i've actually already built one using my lathe! the problem with it.....i used 1in 1/4" keyed shaft! the new one i'm building will use 1 3/8" 6spline shaft. and i will build my own 930 flanges(from blueprints i found on this forum) that will have the matching 6spline hub. my carrier will be mounted differently than the one in the first post in this thread. so i won't need the "laser cut" plates. that MAY be the better way to mount the carrier, but i'm thinking the way i mount mine will work just as well, and know it will be cheaper than paying $110 per hr for the laser time.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I also built one with a keyed shaft. It works ok for low hp. I have/had a 440 sled engine and it works fine with it. However the stub axles are another matter, they were also 1" keyed shaft. They fail easily with the sled engine. Well the key stock is actually the weak link. I recently found a great deal on a 2006 r6 engine and could not resist buying it. Now im replacing all of my rear drive train with some thing that can withstand the increased hp. I built all of the previous drive line pieces while attending machine tooling classes, i no longer have access to the equipment needed, so now im shopping for the best parts for the money not necessarily the cheapest. I plan on purchasing Protodies center drive carrier, micro stubs, intrepid hub bearings and 930 axles.
While searching for 930 cv axles i came across the ebay item i have posted in my first post of this thread, wasnt really planning on buying it just wanted to see if anyone else had seen it or used it.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

the first plans i'd purchased also used the 1" keyed shaft for the stub axles! i never got around to finishing them tho. i don't have the money to buy these needed parts(i have 8 kids), so i'm gonna make as many of the parts as i can to save $$$. keep us posted on your upgrading process....please!
Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Believe me i wish there was a cheaper way. I would love to have a lathe but i cant really justify the expense. I am perfectly capable of machining the parts myself. I figure i would really only save a couple hundred bucks at best if i machined them myself. I still have to buy everything.

8 kids! Reverse broken?
Sponsored Links