MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Driveline

Driveline Mini-buggy transmission, differentials, Forward Neutral Reverse (FNR) and gearing discussions.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reverse using Starter Motor Question

I'm planning on adding a reverse using the tried and proven starter motor combo. Problem is, because this is an add on to an existing rail and not planned in from the beginning, I can only mount it one way.

So I need a starter that spins counter clockwise. Can any one tell me which motors spin this direction?

I've tried researching a lot of different ones, but haven't been able to find this info.

Thanks

Russ
rahlberg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Reverse using Starter Motor Question

I think you may have seen these photoes before but they may be a way you can add this for reverse up out of the way?

Also for a starter spinning counter clockwise. You talking looking at it from the bendix end?

Most car motors spin the same direction. Old corvair flat sixes and most of the newer Honda cars all spin motors the opposite direction of most cars.

So that might help guide you on a search for the starter you seek.

Mounting it higher may mean having to add a couple bearings and sprockets BUT that also means you can tailor the speed some to your liking with sprocket ratios. (I have heard some say that it right on the spool makes for a fast somewhat uncontrolled backing up.) With it higher its also less likely to get damaged.

Also consider that a small battery (like a common motorbike one) may start a small motor just fine as it was made for that. But the current required to spin a car starter and move a heavy buggy may over tax it and harm it. This can be another case to support the gear reduction mentioned above. Or swapping to a larger car battery may be needed? Just food for thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1134.jpg (53.7 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1135.jpg (52.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1136.jpg (55.5 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg coolish buggy.jpg (58.1 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by nutz4sand; 04-27-2009 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: adding last line
nutz4sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

BANNED

That's a pretty simple fix...If you got the room...Put the starter on the other side
Shit I forgot how to post pix
renegadespec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Admin

Go Advanced Spec!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadespec1 View Post
That's a pretty simple fix...If you got the room...Put the starter on the other side
Shit I forgot how to post pix
Yhea, that's the problem. I actually don't have the room to flip it over. I could probably shoehorn it in between the chain (mounted to the left), but I'm not loving that idea.

Here's a pict of the setup. I can mount the flywheel off the chainring (which looks like it'd be the easiest setup). Then I'd need the starter to mount to the right (but I need one that spins CC). I could mount the flywheel to the right of the carrier, but that'd be a ton more work to make it fit. But then again, I could use the starter as is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05090.jpg (63.8 KB, 146 views)
rahlberg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links