Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Desert Dog Coyote - Test drive report.
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab\";p=\"14865
    New bearing carrier and a bit of FI tuning - the Dez lives again!

I went out this afternoon and messed with the fuel injection (richened it up a bunch on the top end) a bit - it came alive. *It now revs up to 10,500, but still drops back to about 9500. *I think my driven clutch needs to either have a slightly more agressive helix and/or a bit more preload on the spring inside of it.

Once the car catches up with the upshifted clutch, it will allow the engine to stretch it's legs and pull to 10,500. * That last 1000 rpm is worth about 15 hp - you can feel the engine peak out and pull - and the scenery gets blurry too. *I didn't have GPS or the helmet cam on today - I will on the next run out.
    I did more testing on Saturday 11/4/06, up near Bartlet Lake. *My rear shocks are warm to the touch (maybe 90F) after 20 miles of sand washes. *No real whoop sections in the area. *My drive and driven clutches are smoking hot! *I lightened up the clutch cam arms in order to hit 10,000 RPM, but now there is not enough force to keep the belt from slipping. *After much trial and error on the primary clutch, I came to the conclusion that the snowmobile helix angles are way too aggressive for a heavy 1,300 lb car. *For clarification, aggressive helix angles are steep (50-55) and they shift the secondary quickly. *Mild helix angles are shallow (35-40) and shift the secondary at a much slower rate. *The shallower helix angles also backshift quicker when pulling hills, but don't accelerate as quickly as a steep helix.

For example: This is equivalent to shifting a truck with a manual tranny with and without a travel trailer. *The truck will accelerate much quicker without a trailer in tow (650lb snowmobile) than it does while pulling a heavy trailer (1,300 lb car). *When towing the trailer, you need to hold the truck transmission in each gear longer and allow the motor to rev or you will tend to short shift the engine and the motor will bog down. *

I also have a question about my front tires. *Currently running 235/75R15 Goodyear MT-Rs which work well, but man, they really trash the back of the car with all the rocks and pebbles they kick up. *My newly powdercoated arms look like hell once again. *I'm thinking of switching to a set of [url=http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/off-road.php?item=BajaPro:2joek8oz]Baja Pros[/url:2joek8oz]. *Jay advised me to stay with a square profile tire over a rounded tire. *Is there a better front steer tire out there that won't trash my ride?

2. Collapse Details
    Very interesting coverage and description of the clutches. I have no experience of CVTs and know next to nothing about them.

You definitely want a square-edged tyre for the front, but there's no getting away from the sandblasting effect. Grooving the tyres will help their steering ability and may marginally reduce the hail of debris, but I doubt if it will be noticable.

I wrap my axles with thick electrical tape which stops 99% of debris from marking them (I was afraid of stress risers), so perhaps some of that clear sheet you sometimes see stuck to the rear guards of Beetles and some open wheel sports cars might protect the paint.

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Hey Philabuster.

Go to one of the local shops that does stuff for all the import cars and see if they have any Helicopter Tape. *It's basically 3M's version of clear contact paper. *Tough stuff. *Many sports car guys run it on the front of the car - it's also known as an "invisible bra". *You should be able to get pieces large enough for each side of the car.

You can wrap the drag links and transverse links in it too. *I'd do a couple layers on the suspension links, but only one layer on the side panels.

4. Collapse Details
    I should have purchased the 3M tape immedately after the link bars had been re-coated. *The rear carriers also take a beating too. *Actually EVERYTHING in the rear is recieving a hailstorm of debris--especially the clutches! *The clutch faces should be smooth as to not tear up the belt. *Well, they look like I was dragging them behind me instead of using them. * I definitely need to protect them from FOD (foreign object damage) in the future.

Thanks you two for the input. *It looks like I will have to live with it.

5. Collapse Details
    Very nice car!! Nice lines also-doesnt look like a typical boxy mini. Looks like a well done full size car. If you dont mind my asking what does a car with that type drivetrain cost turnkey?

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    $25,990 w/RX1 powerplant

http://www.desertdogoffroad.com/RX1.htm

7. Collapse Details
    [smilie=bs_stopspamnlamor.gif]

lol, we got a advertisment section you know...lol

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab\";p=\"15806
    To clarify--K-fab's posted the base price for the car. *I ordered many upgrades with my car. [smilie=ninja.gif]

9. Collapse Details
    I was thinking that sounded like a hell of a deal!

10. Collapse Details
    Guess ive never looked at the suspension on a pilot. How is that setup for toe change thruout the travel?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast