MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Cooling

Cooling Engine and Oil cooling discussion forum for mini-buggies and sand rails.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hayabusa radiator,fan, and cooling questions

I am running a Griffin 13"x22" dual pass aluminum radiator on my car. *It is mounted behind the seats with an aluminum shroud and 10" puller fan mounted on it. *I am also running the stock oil cooler behind the seats and have cut the center out of the stock thermostat (tried the t-stat both ways and this seems to work better). *The car has always run hot 200-215 degrees (rorty's website says that they are supposed to run at about 196-212 degrees) so I figured it was okay. *The problem is that this was when the ambient temp was 70-75 degrees and once the fan turned on it didn't shut off. *On the last trip of the season it it was 90-100 degrees out and the car was running up near 230-235 degrees and puking fluid out of the overflow bottle with the fan running non-stop. *I would like to solve this problem this summer before I pull the car apart for powder coat. *

Here is what I am considering doing; I am buying a 6"x6"x2" setrab oil cooler from a board member which has a small Spal fan on it and also upgrading from my 10" puller which *pulls 785 cfm to an 11" Spal puller which pulls 1390 cfm. *I will also be ceramic coating the header.

I am also curious as to where everyone else is running their coolant temp sensor and fan thermo-switch. *I want to make sure that I am running them in the ideal location to get an accurate temp reading and turn the fan on and hopefully off based on the temp at the right location (if that makes any sense). *I have my temp sensor located on the front of the motor in a port just below the #4 cylinder header tube and my thermo-switch is located in the hose between the water neck/thermostat and the top or inlet port of my radiator. *Are these the correct locations? *Is there any reason I need to have the stock temp sensor hooked up? *I don't believe the ECM uses it or does it? *I think it would would make sense to install the temp sensor for my gauge in this location if indeed the stock unit is not necessary.

These is also a small tube coming off the water neck, what is it for?. *I have a small coolant hose hooked up to it which then ties into the hose between my radiator overflow port and overflow bottle using a tee. *Is this correct or should it run elsewhere?

I would love to hear what everyone else is running and not have to constantly watch the temp gauge next season.

Derek
dlisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2007, 02:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hayabusa radiator,fan, and cooling questions

I say the upgrade fan and oil cooler will help a whole bunch, we dont have the 100 degree ambient temp here tho....
Old 05-27-2007, 02:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugpac\";p=\&quot View Post
... we don't have the 100 degree ambient temp here tho....
You do, maybe not as often but you do!!! *The reason I know is I grew up real close to you in Pinckney, MI and went to school even closer to you at Michigan State. *Eventually I will end up back there as all of my and my wife's family is still in MI.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

How is everyone else handling the cooling on their busa powered cars? *I want to hear the details of some different setups and how they are working.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Admin

I will talk about how my car came from Sick Sand Travel. It came with a Ron Davis Radiator mounted behind the drivers seat and paralell with the side of the car.

A significant portion of the radiator was obscured by rear quarter panel and there was no direct air flow like you get when the radiator is mounted high or facing forward.

The car did not have a temperature gauge so I was blissful. Don't know if it overheated and it seemed ok for the 20 or so hours that I actually drove the car.

You can see how the radiator is mounted now by looking at the pics. Although still obscured it has more access to airflow than before. Now I have a temp guage so I will know what the temp is,

I was reading my Hayabusa service manual today and noticed that it specifies temperature operating points for various H20 components. I will get those points and will update this later.

Over on GD you had a question about the small tube coming off the thermostat housing. I had the same question - which is "what is it". My inference from the manual is that it is a bypass or return line to the water pump. the manual does not call it out as I had hoped. Does anyone know?
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Olympia, Wa. or 25 gallons of Diesel from the dunes

The line on the thermostat housing according to manual is a bypass line to the radiator. It for some reason does the same thing as the big radiator hose does just in a small size. On the stock hayabusa radiator there is two small ports. One is to hook this line to which goes directly into the radiator (not through a radiator cap) *And the other is for the over flow bottle. Mine and a few others have block this line off right at the thermostat housing.
You dont want to hook it to the radiator cap/neck because it will not allow the over flow to work properly. The little hose coming off the radiator cap/neck should go to a overflow/recovery bottle. And you diffently dont want to put a tee in the line because the line coming off the thermostat housing is under pressure which will blow fluid out of any thing its hook to.
This might be why your overheating because when the motor gets hot the excess pressure/water is being blown out the line hooked to the thermostat housing. Basicly leaking/blowning all of the coolant out.

And for the fan running mine does run all the time. *But this could be more because of where my thermo switch is hooked up at. Its on the line between the head and the water pump.

EL TORO sand car w/ intercooled TURBO 1397 Busa / Subaru STI diff. / cutting brakes
busasandrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

BANNED

That small line is a bypass to vent any air in system trapped behind the thermostat before it opens and should be used.You CAN get by without it but I would not.
masterfabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Vent it where? * *The line goes to the radiator not to the overflow bottle....On the bike it might work with the radiator in it stock location, but with the radiator moved to a different location it really becomes a moot point doesn't it?

EL TORO sand car w/ intercooled TURBO 1397 Busa / Subaru STI diff. / cutting brakes
Old 05-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

BANNED

Nope,the air will vent to the radiator and then through the cap and *be allowed to escape then to the overflow bottle.There is the real possibility for the cooling system to airlock without it.As I said you MAY be able to not use it but Suzuki didn't spend the money for fun.
masterfabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yea but just as much as it will through the bigger return radiator hose....right?. Maybe you can explain how it will work with a radiator mounted behind a seat. The highest spot being the thermostat housing how would this vent the air any different then not having it?

Sponsored Links