MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Cooling

Cooling Engine and Oil cooling discussion forum for mini-buggies and sand rails.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #31 (permalink)

Location: Olympia, Wa. or 25 gallons of Diesel from the dunes

Default Re: Hayabusa radiator,fan, and cooling questions

The stock coolant fan sensor is located on the radiator.....
And here is an attached drawing of the busa radator layout and as you can see the "bypass" line #9 is after the thermostat and does nothing except for taking a different route then the big return line #1 ....The stock hayabusa hose routing needed some way to remove excess air trapped in the thermostat housing. So unless you have the radiator in the same exact location as stock with the exact same hose routing this hose won't do what is was design to do on and removing it will have no ill effect in a sandrail application. *And also being that most of us mount the radiators in a completely different location both horzontially and vertically this line really become a redunt line. Using a busa motor in a sandrail requires us to look twice at what the suzuki engineers did, because once you move anything from a stock location everthing changes.
Just make sure your radiator cap is the high point and bleed all of the air out of your system and all will be good.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 10155_20[1].gif (53.3 KB, 118 views)

EL TORO sand car w/ intercooled TURBO 1397 Busa / Subaru STI diff. / cutting brakes
busasandrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2007, 01:17 AM   #32 (permalink)

Also take a close look at how the upper radiator hose is run...the hose runs from the top of the radiator down under the radiator and back up to the thermostat housing. IMO this is the main reason the bypass hose is needed. Most of that rails I have seen run the return line directly from the radiator to the thermostat housing, *Without these huge changes in elevation.

EL TORO sand car w/ intercooled TURBO 1397 Busa / Subaru STI diff. / cutting brakes
Old 06-11-2007, 01:47 AM   #33 (permalink)

BANNED

It will all depend on hose routing and rad location whether it is needed or not.Some of us will still need to use it and others not.There is no single answer that fits all.
masterfabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:58 AM   #34 (permalink)

Hi, Nice scematic it gives a very good picture of what is going on in the Busa system. The hose # 9 in that scematic is what I would call a bleed hose. Busasandrail is right in that with the layout of that system and the way the upper rad hose is routed you would get air trapped in the T-stat housing and that hose looks like it would be the path for it to bleed out. Suzuki may call it a bypass hose as it is bypassing the main rad hose. When I was reffering to what I would call a bypass hose I was refering to what would be hose # 8 in that scematic. It is also a small hose but it is going from the T-stat directly back to the water pump and bypassing the rad all together. Any comments I had in previous posts about coolant (bypass) systems would be in reference to that hose.
* Phil (opsled)

Sarcasim is my weapon of choice.
opsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:37 AM   #35 (permalink)

Opsled, I've seen the bypass hoses your refering to and they do exactly what your saying they do but on a busa motor the hose #8 your refering to goes from the head to the water pump....there are only two hoses on the thermostat housing one is the big return hose and the second being the bleed/bypass hose.

Back to the hose arguement;
If your using the stock radiator then maybe yes, or maybe stock style hose routing. But I cant see any aftermarket radiator requiring the use of the bleed/bypass hose. And if you are requiring the use of the hose then maybe you should rethink your radiator hose routing.
Could somebody please post some pics of a system needing said hose. I would like to see a busa mini rail that actually needs the bleed/bypass hose hooked up.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:27 AM   #36 (permalink)

Here is a picture of King Sand Cars setup in which they use the bleed hose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg king cooling setup.jpg (67.1 KB, 97 views)
dlisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #37 (permalink)

Thanks...dlisbeth.

Look closely, both lines follow the almost the same path with almost the same dip in the line allowing air to trap in it...I guess with hard lines on the big line the small rubber one would be easier to lift up to bleed the air out of the system.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #38 (permalink)

BANNED

Air will "pump out of the small lineas the coolant warms due to the small diameter whereas the large hose will allow an airlock.That's why the bleed hose is needed.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #39 (permalink)

If you say so .....

[smilie=icon_bolt.gif]

Old 06-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #40 (permalink)

BANNED

Believe it or not that's how it works.
Sponsored Links