Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Edge Barracuda build.
    Im almost ready to start welding some steel up for my Barracuda. I have gone through Tony's Excellent plans and redrawn every part to use standard size materials. I have two 2x4ft sheets of parts that will be laser and waterjet cut maybe tomorrow. This Cuda will be built from 1.5"x .095" DOM for the main chassie. I had to make some changes to the frame due to not being able to bend the DOM to the tight 3..5" radius which Edge has in the plans. All parts are modified to keep all the specs while using the larger tubing. I hope to be able to update this thread tomorrow with a picture of all the laser cut parts.

I got tired of all the odd looking tires in most CAD drawn models so I made up some better looking ones. LOL
    Mike

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Edge Barracuda build.
    3.5" radius in the plans? *That is tight.

What tube size is he calling out for in the plans?

I have yet to buy his plans for the Barracuda....not sure if I want to make my next buggy to someone elses' plans or try to create my own buggy design for the next build (I've learned so much here) *.

I have a die/mandrel set for 1 3/8" tube with a 4" radius. *When I bought it a few years ago, I thought it would be a happy medium between the common 1.25" and seemingly over-large 1.5"

3. Collapse Details
    They build the cuda from Pipe which is like 1.39" diameter. There Die is 90mm radius which is right at 3.5". 1.1875" tube would be very close to the pipe they use.

Mike

4. Collapse Details
    This is almost all the laser cut parts other than the sprocket and brake disc. I still have to draw some small brackets for stuff like the fuel tank and shifter which Im about to do now. Thats a full 4x4 sheet of parts. *

I hope I made the picture quality bad enough to where no one will be able to use it to produce there own Cuda.

Mike

5. Collapse Details
    getting them at gk machine in oregon?

6. Collapse Details
    Nah, Thrush Aircraft is 20 miles away and the guy I spoke with sounded excited to do some custom work. When I asked what the cut time charge was he just said its cheap. *

Mike

7. Collapse Details
    I got the lower chassie welded up tonight. I jigged it all up nice and square and tacked it together well. After removing from the jig and welding all the joints there is 100 % no warp in the frame. This was my first project that I used a tig welder on and man I love it. Its so cool to watch the two parts melt together then dab the rod in the pool and move on. The welds are not the prettiest but there good welds. The pretty welds will come with more practice I guess.

Mike

8. Collapse Details
    I got the main roll cage hoop bent tonight. I will trim the ends and tweek out .5" of warp and tack weld it on. I hope to get some tube work done this weekennd. I need my laser cut parts now but I have yet to find who I will use for the cutting. Most quotes have been stupid high like $800 and the one low priced guy needs 3 weeks. Im still waiting on a few quotes though. I hope I can get at least some parts cut tomorrow localy. *

Mike

9. Collapse Details
    Can`t see the pictures [smilie=banghead.gif]

10. Collapse Details
    Can`t see the pictures of your drawings [smilie=banghead.gif] *

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast