Thread: Busa Datsun

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Busa Datsun
    Good to see your still working on this, and havent let it go by the wayside!

2. Collapse Details
    Last month start up.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW2cw-7AyIY

I have a question. I replaced the inner torque limiter inner clutch (2011 Busa) with a billet clutch. It turns out that the billet clutch is designed for a lock up style clutch and the spring retaining arms are short causing the springs to coil bind. I can simply put spacers in there but now it's got me thinking of a lock up style clutch. Have any of you guys used the lock up clutch or is that just a drag racing application? With the added weight of the car and a turbo I'm thinking the clutch needs a little help especially on hard launches on pavement. Thoughts...

Thanks
    Akpilot

3. Collapse Details
    Congrats AK! Badass!

That's not what I pictured the frame looking like but OK, I can see where your going.

Watch That master switch! The big red paddle one. They are not made like the old school ones. I had one fail almost immediately in the Briggs. I ended up taking the new and old one apart and making one good one.

I think I bought mine from Longacre? I had pics on here of the difference inside, I'll see if I can find them.

EDIT: cant find the pics. If you start having electrical problems, look at that switch.
    Last edited by Bullnerd; 07-25-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

4. Collapse Details
    Awesome!!!

5. Collapse Details
    Can you swap out the towers from the original setup? They are red loctited in, btw.

No need for a lockup clutch on a stock or near stock motor, they are meant more for racing where you can adjust their slip, and make them grab at a certain rpm for consistent hits. I assume you are asking about a single stage.

The busa clutch is pretty robust as is. I didn't bother to take the back torque limiter out since it only acts on engine braking, and the sand really slows the vehicle down, and I'm never in a situation where the engine is being forced to a high rpm.

Oh, didn't see you were going to turbo it. Heavy springs may be enough in that case.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

6. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Billet basket and HD springs. Later yr Busa have a better basket already, but billet is still a good idea w turbo.

7. Collapse Details
    I thought the Gen II Busa's don't turbo as well as the Gen I because of the higher compression?
    Awesome project as usual for Ak.

8. Collapse Details
    Properly built, either one will turbo just fine, but the gen 1 can take a few more pounds of boost with less octane.

I've heard the gen 1 cases are a little beefier in some sections, and some of the guys pushing the limits go back to gen 1 cases with the gen 2 crank and head. Maybe it was just the cylinders....

The gen 2 ecu is far more capable though. Addition of boost is easily accommodated without a fuel pressure regulator.

I've seen 6lbs for a gen 1 and 4 lbs for a gen 2 before you need to open it up for mods. I would be careful with boost on a stock motor though, these heavy vehicles definitely tax the motor harder and longer than a bike.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

9. Collapse Details
    I don't want to hijack this thread but do have a question on turbocharging, please see other thread
    Turbo Busa

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10